Windows are an important part of a building's aesthetic, safety, and functional characteristics. Unfortunately, their close proximity to human traffic and the high frequency of use makes them prone to breakage. Skilled and experienced repair personnel should repair broken or shattered windows in order to avoid the risk of injury from glass pieces or insecurity due to shoddy repair work. The majority of window repair jobs involve glass replacement, sash replacement, frame reinforcement, window grill installation, sliding mechanism repair, and replacement of hinges and joints. Although window repair depends on many factors, the main ones are:
- The type of window – Most windows are glass made with several other materials. Wood, plastic composites and metal also contribute to window construction. The type of material used to make the window determines the repair action needed. Wooden windows are an easy fix provided there is a hammer and some nails. However, metal and glass windows require skilled repair personnel.
- The type and extent of damage – Some types of damage such as total breakage of glass, corrosion of metal frames, and rot in wood necessitates a total replacement of the window. Door windows deserve special attentions due to the insecurity from having faulty windows on the door. Skilled companies should do special repairs such as scratch resistance treatment, anti-graffiti treatment, and corrosion treatment.
After deciding to repair faulty and broken windows, it is important to consider the personnel one will task with this important job. Several factors determine the outcome of a window repair job based on the repair personnel chosen. These factors include:
- Experience and skill levels of the repair personnel – Based on the importance of getting good service during window repair, it is crucial to check that the personnel tasked with this important job have the right level of training and enough experience. The best strategy for doing this is using well-known window and door repair companies.
- Guarantees and insurance – Because window repair jobs carry a high risk of default, quality concerns, and the risks associated with shoddy window repair jobs, checking the company's guarantee and insurance policies is important. Most good companies offer reasonable guarantee on repair jobs to ensure their clients are satisfied with their window repairs.
- Costs implications – Window repair is a serious issue due to the security aspects, especially when the windows being repaired are on a door. However, the costs of repairing these important parts of the house or premises should be reasonable. High costs do not necessarily guarantee high quality repair jobs.